About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Google Reader

This tool allows you to compile all the blogs, people, and sites you follow into one area. You don't have to check each site to see if someone has posted a new blog entry you can just check google reader. Then you can read all the new posts and articles. It allows information to find you, so that you don't have to go chasing information.To find out more you can see the Google document that was the basis of our presentation.

It allows you to follow all of your student's blogs and organize them into folders. Students can also check the google reader to see if you posted a new assignment. You can also have a folder for different blogs or sites that you can look at for ideas and resources in the classroom. I think seeing trends of how much is posted on the internet at what speed could also be interesting to study in a math class and google reader breaks it down for you. Also you can use the google reader tool to help students understand how to read graphs and what the data implies. It is a great tool to keep everything electronically organized for your teaching and classes.

It was a pretty easy tool to learn how to use. I was already following group members blogs on blogger for Steve's Equity class and google reader had it right there when I started using it. It took me some time to understand everything I could do. I didn't make folders to organize my subscriptions until later when I realized I could do that. I being the very organized person I am loved being able to do that, but I didn't think about trying to do it since I wasn't subscribed to very many sites. I am going to start using it to see if some of the blogs and online stories I read have posted something new. It will stop making me a refresh monkey.

I contributed ideas about how this could be incorporated into the math classroom. So I helped give ideas that related to my content area, so I talked about those links to math in the reflections area. I also provided a lot of the initial ideas of how to use the reader in the classroom and Chirs filled in areas that I did not think about like the organizing of folders.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, nice the way Following migrates into the Reader. This obviously becomes very powerful when you're following a class full of students!

    ReplyDelete