About Me

My photo
I love to teach and I love math. Teaching has always been a passion since I was in 5th grade. I gained a love of math later in eighth grade. I have been told that I always have a smile on my face and a song in my heart which is the best description of me.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bio about me

I am 22 and starting my last year as a student at Willamette's MAT program. The program is very linked in and incorporates technology into everything. It really makes the classes interesting. So that is why I am writing this blog.

I received a math degree with a minor in Chinese studies from Willamette just last May. I am now going to use that math degree to teach students the wonders and beauty of math. I would like to teach high school out of anything else. I think the math they get to do at that level is some of the coolest and most exciting. I also like that age group. However I don't mind working with younger students and I am getting licensed to teach middle school as well. They get to do some really cool stuff in math too that I wouldn't mind teaching at all. I get real excited about different subjects of math if you haven't already figured that out.

I have lots of interests and hobbies besides math. I love reading Young Adult books. I just eat them up. I also love playing rugby when I can. I played for five years starting when I was in high school. I collect keychains, so if you go on a trip I don't mind if you bring me back a keychain from somewhere you visited. I love to sing and have been in many choirs through the years. I have often been in several at one time. Singing is medicine for my soul and I love expressing the feelings of the music on my face. I however will not be singing with any choir this year since it will be a busy year and I need to focus on teaching. It will be the first year in thirteen years that I have not been singing with a choir. Anyways let us talk about something happier. I have been to China twice with the Heart of the Valley Choir. These trips inspired me to take courses on Chinese history and eventually become a Chinese studies minor. I have taken several history courses, an art history course, and a sociology course on Chinese studies. I could never get enough. Then when I am in the mood and have time I read books about Chinese history. I can't stop learning about the place, the culture, and the art. I have a lot of postcards, paintings, pictures, and other souvenirs of Chinese art. I had a whole wall in my dorm room covered with just pieces related to my travels to China and the other Chinese art I had bought over the years.

So I guess that is me in a nutshell. There is lots more I could say, but I will leave it at that. I look forward to the many posts that come as I explore technology and its use in education.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow mathematician, I especially appreciated your comments regarding the beauty of mathematics. That same passion is what led me into teaching.
    Your bookshelf background is very appropriate considering your desire to be a lifetime learner.

    ReplyDelete